The Electronic Cigarette
Cancer is the number one cause of death all over the world. Among the various types of cancer, lung cancer is the most common. According to the World Health Organization, there are over 1.69 million deaths due to lung cancer in 2015. The country with the highest rate of lung cancer is Hungary based on the data of World Cancer Research Fund International.
Alternative for Tobacco and Cigarettes
It was in 2003 that the first commercial electronic cigarette was invented. Little did people know, the first patent for an electronic cigarette was given to Joseph Robinson back in 1930 – which he filed in 1927 based on the document reference. However, there are no evidence that a prototype was manufactured and it was never introduced in the market.
The electronic cigarette was successfully created by Hon Lik in Beijing, China. He is a 52 years old pharmacist and is known to be a smoker. According to him, his major motivation in creating the device is his father – who was also a heavy smoker and died due to lung cancer. Lik was working then in Golden Dragon Holdings, where he developed the device. They called the devices as “Ruyan” which means ‘like smoke’.
It was in 2006 that the electronic cigarette was introduced in the U.S. and Europe.
What is an electronic cigarette?
An electronic cigarette is included in the list of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems or ENDS. There are similar devices like vaporizers, vapor pens, e-pipes, and hookah pens. Most of the ENDS resemble real cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. However, there are also those that look like pen and everyday items.
Nowadays, there are several shops in the mall or shopping districts offering e-cigarettes and even online. To encourage people to use this alternative device to smoke, some shops are using coupon codes to give customers discounts and freebies.
How does it work?
There are three different parts in most electronic cigarettes:
- Cartridge –it is used to hold the liquid solution that contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals.
- Vaporizer – the heating device.
- Power source – electronic cigarettes usually works by using a battery.
The electronic cigarette works when the user puffs it. Using the battery as the power source, the heating device will vaporize the liquid contained in the cartridge. An aerosol or vapor will be produced, which is inhaled by the user – it is commonly called as ‘vaping’.
Statistics of ENDS Users
Below is the data from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration regarding the number of ENDS users.
- From 2011, there are only 1.5% of ENDS users among high school students and 0.6% in middle school students. In 2015, it rose to 16% for high school students and 5.3% for middle school students.
- According to 81% current young users, the main reason for the usage of electronic cigarettes is due to the appealing flavors available.
- In 2014, there are 12.6% of U.S. adults who had ever tried an electronic cigarette, while 3.7% of adults are using it daily or some days.
- In 2015, the electronic cigarette is the most commonly used tobacco product among youth.